Clip 18

For Clip 18 I wanted to make something that was more than an outline but not so detailed that it was just the raw video. It is sort of a combination between my neon idea (the outline) and my chalk idea (the slight shading and trails). I imported the video in to Photoshop as layers, then exported the layers out as full quality jpgs. I then used Adobe Bridge to batch rename them to a sensible naming convention (frame followed by 2 digits).

I used combinations of filters and brushing to create a look that was partly looks drawn and partly like a neon sign (which extreme highlights). I recorded some actions to help speed up some of the more mechanical aspects of the editing and then went and edited individual frames. Unfortunately I had to desaturate the image because I was very unhappy with the mess of colours that came as a consequence of some of the effects. I intended to correct this in After Effects. I exported the layers again and imported them in to Adobe Premier as an image sequence, a 15fps video file. The processes I used were not ideal immediately, so I spent time cleaning up the images to be more focused on the dancers. Below is a screen grab of some of the extra detailed that existed before I removed it, and I believe it is better with just the dancers drawn.









I then imported the video in to After Effects and added additional effects. I used adjustment layers, solids and masks to make it more interesting than black and white. I chose orange and blue because they are contrasting colours and creates an interesting look. I then used some overlay effects to add more variation to the colours. Here is the result:















Here is a low quality preview: